Troy Criminal Defense Attorney Fights to Protect Your Rights
Michigan law firm provides aggressive support for a full range of charges
Facing criminal charges can be one of life’s most frightening and stressful experiences. At the Law Offices of Steven M. Vitale PLLC in Troy, MI, I am here to defend your rights, freedom and reputation. Before founding my law firm in 2014, I worked for years as a criminal prosecutor, giving me particular insight into how the opposition works and the resources at its disposal. This information is invaluable in helping me create effective defense strategies for my clients.
The difference between misdemeanors and felonies
In Michigan, crimes are generally divided into two categories: misdemeanors and felonies. Misdemeanors are punishable by up to one year in jail while felonies such as first degree murder are punishable by up to life in prison.
A conviction of any crime can impact your freedom, ability to get a job, find a place to live and more. If you are arrested on accusations of a felony or misdemeanor, the strong legal counsel my law firm provides can help you obtain the best possible result.
Criminal charges my firm typically handles
My office regularly defends residents of Troy and the metro Detroit area against a wide range of charges, including:
- Traffic offenses — While most traffic violations in Michigan are civil offenses, they can result in steep fines, license points and higher insurance premiums. While it may seem like the easier option to plead guilty and pay the fine, I can help you fight unfair and costly traffic tickets.
- OWI/DUI — A conviction for operating a vehicle while intoxicated (OWI), also known as driving under the influence (DUI), can result in stiff penalties that may include the loss of your driving privileges. I will defend you against OUI charges as well as assist with your separate license suspension issue.
- Drug crimes — Manufacturing, sale, possession and other drug crimes can have severe penalties upon conviction, and it’s not uncommon for authorities to overcharge these offenses. I will fully assert your rights in these cases, advocating for a drug diversion program in lieu of prison time whenever possible.
- Sexual offenses — If convicted of a sexual offense, you may be subject not only to criminal penalties but you may also have to register as a sex offender, which can last from 15 years to life. I understand the seriousness of these charges and will protect your rights from start to finish.
- Sealing and expungement of records — The consequences of a criminal conviction can be life-altering. My firm helps eligible clients pursue a “clean slate” under Michigan’s expungement laws.
I take a proactive approach to case management and work closely with my clients to keep them informed about their options.
Contact a Troy, MI criminal defense lawyer for a free consultation
The Law Offices of Steven M. Vitale PLLC in Troy, Michigan defends clients against a wide range of misdemeanor and felony charges. My office serves clients throughout Oakland, Wayne and Macomb Counties in the greater Detroit metro area. Call 248-329-0527 or contact me online to schedule a free consultation.